Saturday, February 22, 2014

Imagination

My breath caught as I watched the fight. It was the fiercest one that I had ever seen. The land was at stake. Everything that we knew and loved would be lost if he lost this fight and there was nothing I could do about it. My heart pounded as I saw blow after blow just miss it's target by a breath. I was ready for anything, but if they hurt him, they were dead.

Superhero Max fought valiantly against the Evil Nicholas. SM was the strong and true one who worked to save the planet from the evil plots that EN dished out over and over again. It was always amazing to see how many times EN failed. We always wondered at such a stupid villain.

There are many times in my life when I watch a child and I see that they are in their own universe with their own people and stories. They may tell me all about it and I may have no clue what they said but I do know that in their world, all things work out well. Nothing can truly harm them because they always come out on top. I know this because my brother and I did the same thing.

See, unlike today's children, to whom seem to enjoy a computer or TV more than the great out doors, my brother and I had the delight of playing outside, snow or shine, and coming up with our own games and fun. What I particularly liked about these imaginary games was that we could be whoever we wanted to be, and to heck with what anyone else thought. Ben loved Dragon Tales growing up, so he wanted to be Superhero Max, after the little boy in the show. I was always a bit of an odd ball (still am ^.-) and a hippie, so I went by the name of Hearts. Yes, as time went on the names changed to Bennie and Kelsena to now Gage and Emer, but the plot never truly changed. We still were fighting some form of evil and we were still winning.

I always joke around by saying that if you move a lot then you are either a military family or a pastors family. We are a pastors family, and as a result, we moved around a lot later in life. Some say that it is because we moved around a lot that we are such good friends. However, I believe that we were the best of friends long before we became a pastors family and started moving around. I think that it started with SM and Hearts against EN.

To this day my brother is still one of my best friends.  I've found that I can talk to him about anything. He's grown into a man of few words (some would say that's my fault from a young age) and therefore does not open up to a lot of people. I always find it funny when I tell someone that I had a two hour long conversation with my brother because they seemed shocked to find out that he knows more than the words 'k' and 'fine.' In fact, I'll be honest, it's strange to see him have a conversation with anyone else. Gaming conversations don't count, the subject matter is provided.

My brother is brilliant and he is working to get his B.A. and is hoping to continue further in his studies. Where he ends up only God knows. But there is one lesson that I hope he never forgets amid life and it's the same lesson I learned long ago; If you have the will and the determination to beat what ever obstacles are in your way, what you dream in your imaginary world just might come true and you just might end up on top.

1 comment: