Sunday, February 9, 2014

Mouthing My Lines

I was standing on the stage with the lights blinding me so that I could not see the audience. I was wearing a cardboard box decorated to looks like a Christmas present and I had a big red bow in my hair. Beside me was a boy from my class who was dressed similarly only the bow was on the front of the box. I don't remember the lines that I had to say back then but I do remember being quite proud of my role and how well I knew my part. I also knew that, throughout my performance, my mom was sitting in the front row, mouthing my lines as I said them.
 
For the past few weeks we had been practicing our Sunday school production over and over with my mom directing. She had and still has a knack for getting kids in order and putting on a show. I'm not sure if I got the role because I was good for it or if it was because my moms' daughter but I truly didn't care. I felt that my mom believed in me and that was why I had such an important role.
 
Despite what life sometimes throws at us, I still feel that my mom believes in me no matter what. The evidence is in whenever I create something. She adamantly proclaims that it is hers, regardless of my plans. She is one of my biggest fans and she doesn't hesitate to tell me. She is quick to praise and slow to criticize.
 
My mom is my best friend. Like all best friends we sometimes fight but we always make up. More often than not we get along fantastically.  I know that if I had a problem I could go and talk to her about it and she would help me through it. I also know that if I just wanted to waste time and chat for a bit that I could easily talk to my mom for a good two or three hours, just for the heck of it! Not many daughters can say that about their moms.
 
If anything has changed since that production so long ago, it is that my mom and I are closer than ever before, for which I am always grateful. I am proud to be her daughter and am so happy to have the privilege to call her friend. And just like that day so long ago, I know that if I'm ever in the spotlight again, she will be sitting in the front row, mouthing my lines as I say them.
 


3 comments:

  1. This made me think about the Olympics going on...how many hours the mother's have been at practices, memorizing routines, etc...not just the athletes... coming over from the IBN group.

    ReplyDelete